on Thursday, April 14, 2016
This week is National Volunteer Week! Volunteers are a HUGE part of our downtown community and the driving force behind every single downtown project and initiative we accomplish. In fact, in the past six months alone, volunteers have spent 2,741.25 hours working on said projects. The value of a volunteer hour in Iowa is $21.75 so when you do the math, that equates to a $59,622 investment in downtown Cedar Falls. That’s a pretty incredible accomplishment.
Earlier this week, we hosted a Volunteer Appreciation Party to honor all of our amazing volunteers. An awesome group of volunteer students up at UNI worked with us to plan the party with a tailgate theme, so we thought it would be fun to share the top five reasons we think you should consider being part of our team:
1) You have a chance to give back and make a difference. Downtown Cedar Falls is a vibrant hub of activity and serving on a committee or helping out at an event allows you to support the community resources you use regularly and to invest in our community as well as the people who live here.
2) You can learn a lot. Downtown volunteers help us with a variety of initiatives throughout the year, including gardening, decorating, cleaning, and most recently, gum busting! It’s a great way to discover a new hobby and we would be happy to help you hone your skills to achieve your personal goal of being a master gardener, an interior decorator or even a ghost buster! Ok, maybe not the ghost part, but we can help with the buster part…the gum buster part that is! Applications are now being accepted for help. :)
3) It’s good for you. The experts say volunteering can reduce stress, increase self-confidence, improve your mood and provide a sense of purpose. (Source)
4) It’s fun! Our volunteers get to help with awesome things like determining how Santa will arrive, driving the gator to water flowers, welcoming new businesses to downtown and meeting a variety of new people!
5) You get a VIP invite to our Volunteer Appreciation Party. A private party with free food, free drinks and free fun to say thanks for all you do for us throughout the year. Seriously, what’s not to like?
Bonus: You also get to work with a great staff! We don’t usually toot our own horn, but we love working along side our awesome volunteers and work hard to ensure we’re supporting all of their volunteer initiatives.